What every coach, assistant coach, trainer, manager, board member and coordinator needs to know about Risk Management...
The Risk Management program is mandated through the MSYSA state organization, and has two main concerns:
- Educate clubs, coaches, managers, and other volunteers regarding risks and how to minimize them (i.e., goal safety, lightning and severe weather, first aid issues, spotting and dealing with abusive behavior, etc.).
- Administer a process for handling background checks for personnel.
The MSYSA web page for the Risk Management program can be found at the following link:
There you will find links to a number of articles on safety and risk related issues.
It is required by MSYSA, required by GVSA, and the policy of GR Crew Juniors that all coaches, assistant coaches, team managers, team trainers, and board members (who are 18 years old or older) must submit a risk management background check application and receive a risk management ID card. You cannot be added to a team as coach, assistant coach, or manager until after you have a risk managment clearance approved. Once issued, the risk management ID card and clearance is valid for up to 2 years, until its expiration date.
The background check process works as follows. The applicant must notify the club risk management coordinator (email KenCoviak@grcrewjuniors.org) to initiate the process. A GotSoccer.com account will be created for the applicant, and the account login information will be emailed to the applicant. To set up your GotSoccer.com coach or manager account, please send the following info:
- Legal name (EXACT name as shown on your Risk Management card if you already have one)
- Date of birth
- Address (street, city, state, zip)
- Preferred email address for soccer correspondence
- Home phone
- Cell phone
- Whether you currently have a valid Michigan risk management card (existing clearance can be transferred)
- For which team(s) you will be coach, assistant coach, and/or manager
Log on to your GotSoccer account. Update your basic information and make sure it is accurate. Your "Full Legal Name" should match what is on your driver’s license. Enter your Date of Birth if it is missing. Make sure the other info is accurate and complete, and click on "Save" to save your changes.
Select the "Background Checks" tab. Your current status is displayed. (After you are approved, there will be a "Print Card" link here.) Click on "Submit New Report". Click on "Continue".
Fill out the form with the information required for the background check. (The field State ID# can be left blank.) There is a $10 application fee, payable by credit card. The whole process should take less than 5 minutes. The applications seem to be processed in about 1-3 working days.
After your application is approved, you can log in to your GotSoccer.com account at any time, select the Background Check tab, and click on "Print Card" to print a copy of your risk management card.
Coaches and assistant coaches must have their risk management card available at all league games. All team personnel (coaches and managers) must have their risk management card available at tournaments. It is recommended that you keep one copy in your wallet, and one copy with the team pass cards.
Q: I already have a valid MSYSA risk management card. Do I need to do anything else?
A: Your MSYSA risk management report must be transferred to our club through GotSoccer. You do not need to submit an application or pay a fee. You will need to have a new GotSoccer account set up under our club. Contact the club risk management coordinator to handle this.
Q: How do I get my Risk Management card?
A: You will not receive an email when your application is approved. You will need to log in to your GotSoccer account and check it. After your application or transfer has been approved, you can follow these steps to print a copy of your Risk Management card:
Here is a direct link to a GotSoccer manager login prompt: https://www.gotsport.com/asp/managers/login.asp
- Select the Background Checks tab
- In the left column is a yellow box with your RM report #, a couple of dates, your status of Approved, and at the bottom of the yellow box in pale blue it says "Print Card". Click on "Print Card".
- An Explorer box pops up asking if you want to Open or Save.
- If you select Save, choose a place on your disk to save it, and I recommend changing the default file name to something with the name of the person (but most people will just leave the generic meaningless name). It creates a PDF file with the image of your risk management card.
- If you select Open, it will open the file immediately, and you should be able to print it out. Make an extra copy for each team that you coach.
Q: How do I renew my card?
A: About a month before your card expires, you can log in to your GotSoccer account and submit an application. A renewal is handled the same as a new application. Do not let your card expire if you are coaching or managing a team. As soon as it expires, you will be immediately removed from your team(s), and will need to be manually added back if that happens.
Q: What if I forgot my GotSoccer login?
A: Go to the coach or manager login prompt, and click on the link at "Can’t remember your password? Click here." You will be asked for your email address. The account login info associated with that email address will be sent to you via email.
Here is a direct link to a GotSoccer coach login prompt: https://www.gotsport.com/asp/coaches/login.asp
Q: I coach/manage a team. How do I get my GotSoccer team account login?
A: Go to the team login prompt (at https://www.gotsport.com/asp/managers/login.asp), and click on the link at "Can’t remember your password? Click here." You will be asked for your email address. The team account login info associated with that email address will be sent to you via email for all teams to which you are assigned. (This will only work if you are actually assigned/registered to the team.)
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Questions of a general nature will be posted here (some with answers).
Grand Rapids Crew Juniors Risk Management coordinator
Home phone: (616) 676-2873 (evenings 6-9:30 pm)